Oga Immigration Law Firm
Oga Immigration Law Firm

Dependent visa

is a visa for the spouse or child of a foreign national who is staying in Japan. Parents and siblings are not included in this category.

In this case, “spouse” refers only to a legally married spouse and does not include common-law spouses, those separated by bereavement or divorce, or a spouse in a same-sex marriage.

“Child” includes legitimate (biological) children, recognized illegitimate children, and legally adopted children.

Working while on a Dependent visa is generally not allowed, but it is possible to apply for “Permission to Engage in Activity Other than that Permitted by the Status of Residence Previously Granted”. This will allow the dependent to work part-time(*) up to 28 hours per week.
However, Dependent visas are based on the premise that the dependent is “financially dependent” on the supporter, so dependents who receive a higher salary than the supporter will not be eligible for family stay.

(*) This part-time work excludes all of the following: working at an adult entertainment business, working in a storefront where sex-related services are offered, working at a business without a storefront offering sex-related services, video transmission-based sex-related services, in-person dating services, or phone-based dating services.